Friday, February 1, 2013

Blog #2: Joining Communities


For my MMP project, I chose to join the following three communities:

·            iPad

I joined the Thinkfinity community iPad.  Since all of my students have iPads, I have been looking for creative ways and interesting apps to use in class.  When checking out this community, I found discussions that were specifically related to great apps to download, discussions on general ways to use the iPad in class, and discussions on subject specific ideas with the iPad. 


·            Project Based Learning Group

I joined another Thinkfinity community called Project Based Learning Group.  Along with establishing a classroom with a twenty-first century learning environment, I also want to create more authentic assessments and discovery learning activities for my classes.  Within this community, there are discussions posted by subject.  I am very interested in looking for some ideas about project based learning in math classes and bouncing ideas that I come up with off of other members in the group.


·            Edmodo – Math
http://www.edmodo.com/home#/community/math

The last group I joined was through Edmodo, a content-based group, Math.  In this community, other math teachers have posted questions and ideas about good mathematical problems/applications to use, good apps or other technology questions/ideas, and games.  I am interested in collaborating with other math teachers about different ways to create interesting learning experiences in my Algebra II and Precalculus classes.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Katie!

    I also joined the "iPad" thinkfinity group for my project so I look forward to working with you! While I am hoping to gain knowledge on what apps would be best for my students, I think this community will help you even more! The fact that every student in your class already has an iPad will make using certain apps a lot easier to incorporate. My biggest concern is learning about all of these cool apps but not being able to use them because I don't have 20 iPads to disburse to my students.

    I think you also joined another great community because you are a math teacher. I wish you the best of luck in gaining the information you wanted to obtain through this course. To me, it looks like you are off to a great start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie,

    I'm glad to see that you have a general direction for your MMP. I'm also happy to read that Kristen Ayling is already looking forward to working with you to work out the challenges of using iPads in the classroom, especially when a district like hers has a limited supply of iPads for students to use. You're lucky in that your students have the comfort of a 1-to-1 initiative to fall back on, but this also puts quite a bit of pressure on you to come up with exciting and motivating uses for apps in the classroom to enhance your students' learning of Algebra and Pre-calculus.

    I am wondering what direction you plan on taking this iPad/app focus. I wrote on Kristen's response to this prompt about the directions she could take her MMP in -- I suggest you check it out to see if my advice might assist your brainstorming as well.

    Overall, nice job!
    Prof H

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie, I think I would look into the ipad group. It is a good point that much of the students today have ipads or other touch products that could be used in class assignments to make them more engaging. There is literally almost an app for everything out there and at the same time using ipads in class would just make the students feel cool. Great group choice =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,

    I really like the Edmodo math app. I may join it myself! I have enough math credits to get a teaching certificate for middle school through the state. That is always in the back of my head because I know I would enjoy teaching it. That group seems very useful!

    ReplyDelete