Thursday, February 21, 2013

Blog #5: Mini Art School 3

Task #1: Cropping

Here are six images, each of which I cropped two times, at least one of which changed the focus of the picture.

Forrest Fire:
Original Photo

Cropping #1


Cropping #2

The first image was cropped to change the shape and focus on the animals.  The fire almost looks like it could be the sun rising or setting.  The second cropping focuses just on the top of the trees and the fire coming from behind them.



Island Shot:
     
Original Photo
Cropping #1
Cropping #2

In this first cropping, the image was cropped to zoom in on the island.  In the second cropping, the island was taken out of the picture and the focus was on the interesting cloud arrangement.



Japanese Garden
Original Photo
Cropping #1
Cropping #2

The first picture was cropped to focus on the tree, the bridge being simply in the background.  In the second cropping, the bridge was prominent but behind the bushes.



Berries in Branches:

Original Photo
Cropping #1
Cropping #2

The first picture was cropped to zoom in on the berries and square out the dimensions.  The second photo was cropped to eliminate that focus in the photo.



Ocean Life:

Original Photo
Cropping #1
Cropping #2

 The first image was cropped to focus on the one bigger fish.  The second image was cropped to change it to a vertical photo, still focusing on the one fish.



Winter Wonderland:
Original Photo
Cropping #1
Cropping #2

This photo was cropped to first focus on the smaller tree in the middle of the original photo.  Then, the focus for the second cropping became the branches in the tree to the right.


Task #2: Typographic Conveyance 

Here are six typographic conveyances that I came up with.  I used four from the book and came up with two of my own.


I made two representations for brick.  I used the font Impact for both representations because it seemed like a strong font.  The first representation was made using PowerPoint with a pattern lettering and the second was made using FotoFlexer with a brick background.








I made the rest of the representations using PowerPoint.  I concentrated on using fonts, colors, and patterns that portrayed the feeling of the word itself.



































Task #3: Coloring

For this task, I made three representations based on the same photo.  I tried to incorporate some of the same colors for the backgrounds and fonts.  The colors in the third one are slightly off, since changing the colors of the background distorted the way the image was viewed.





5 comments:

  1. Hi Katie. You’ve conveyed the use of new design tricks well through the art school assignments. I especially like the panoramic of the fire that focuses on the sky and trees. It really draws the viewer into the fire and is visually stunning. It is amazing how the removal of other objects within an image can change the entire focus and meaning to it.

    The typographic conveyances support the words and enhance their meaning. You provided a lot of texture with the word water, it appears as if the W will start dripping at any time. The colors look great in the echo activity. The swirls really pull the focus towards the ice cream and convey the thought of flavor swirls to make the viewer desire ice cream.

    Did you use FotoFlexer to crop the image as well? I also used FotoFlexer for the second and third tasks. Thanks again for showing me how to use that tool, I am at the site routinely now to complete art school tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I used FotoFlexer to crop my images as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the tool as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,

    I think you did a great job, especially with the typographical conveyance. Also, like Brandi said, you did a really great job of cropping. You shifted the focus to things that looking at the full image, I did not even notice. Great job!!!

    Danny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I really like the varied perspectives you were able to portray with the cropped photos. Also, your typo. conveyances are great, I will have to check out Fotoflexer since Powerpoint didn't seem to have many literal effects for me to use. What did you use for the color echoing? I tried doing this is MS Word and failed miserably!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For color echoing I used FotoFlexer. It calls it grabbing the color; then you can use it when you color fill somewhere else on the image.

    ReplyDelete