Friday, February 8, 2013

Blog #3: Mini Art School


Task 1: Required Design Critique


Hawaii Honeymoon

As you may know, I am getting married in a little over five months, and therefore, I have many wedding magazines.  While reading about possible honeymoon locations, I can across this article/ad for a Hawaii honeymoon.  I found this page aesthetically pleasing and decided to break down the design elements I read about in the articles and in White Space Is Not Your Enemy.  



1.     Layout – The layout of this page reminded me of the “works every time layout” (Golombisky & Hagen, 2010, p. 21-31) but with an extra picture.  The visual is at the top of page, where the reader first looks.  This is followed by a headline, text with columns, and then a tag at the end.

2.    Visuals – The visuals on this page are beautiful, very enticing, and directly related to the purpose of the article/ad.  The beautiful beaches and gorgeous waterfalls make me want to book my honeymoon right away (if only my fiancé wasn’t afraid of getting on a plane).

3.    Audience – The audience here is engaged couples looking to plan a honeymoon get-away.  This ad attracts its audience particularly through the smaller picture, a romantic visual of a couple at the Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa enjoying themselves in paradise.

4.    Headline – The location of the headline right below the picture and above the text is good; however, the overlap of the headline and the visual makes reading the headline a little difficult, especially since the font is white and the background is at times light.

5.    Fonts – The fonts were well chosen for this page.  The page designer stuck to one or two normal fonts that are easy to read.  The size of the text is good as well.  The headline is the biggest size and the other important features of the article are slightly bigger than the average text, drawing the reader’s eyes to the important features.

6.    Columns – The text on this page is split into two columns, which makes it not seem overwhelming for the person reading it.  I must admit, I will often skip over a page with a lot of text when flipping through a magazine, but a page layout like this makes it much more inviting.

7.    Colors – This page is not just plain black and white; it has inviting colors without being hard to look at.  The designer’s choice of introducing the color orange may be used to evoke happiness and adventure from the couple as mentioned in Graphic Design Basics.

8.    White (Negative) Space – This page has the right amount of white space, not too much that the page looks empty, but just enough so that the page is not cramped and is easy to read.

9.    Tags – At the bottom of the article is a tag for The Knot, the company that made the magazine, along with their website URL where the reader can obtain more information about honeymooning to Hawaii.

10.  Busy Backgrounds – To fill some of the white space, the designer of the page used vertical lines.  I do not think this was needed, although I do not think it takes away from the page either.


Task 2: Before/After

I am an advisor for the National Honor Society at my school.  In the fall, the organization collected school supplies for lower income districts.  One of the officers created the before flyer, and I redesigned it.

Before
After


When redesigning this flyer, I tried to use the techniques I read about it White Space Is Not Your Enemy.  I used a layout based on the works-every-time layout.  I placed the picture at the top to draw attention to the flyer followed by a big headline.  I tried to limit the text and place it in columns so that it is not overwhelming the space.  In addition, I included more white space and less colors for the text, as to not take away from the colors in the picture.


Task 3: Toy Store Ad


This was by far the hardest task for me to complete.  Here are the two 90's Toy Sale ads that I came up with.

Highly Structured Layout
Loosely Assembled Ad


I modeled these advertisements off of the examples in Design Basics Index.  Along with one add being more structured than the other, I tried to incorporate other design elements into the ads.  I put borders around the visuals and stuck to text in only two fonts and colors, one for the border and tag and another for the rest of the text.  White space was used to separate the different elements in the ad.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    First off, congratulations on your upcoming wedding! I really enjoyed the break down of the advertisement that you have done. I love the "works every time layout." It really brought my attention to how my eye moves across the page-- and this advertisement follows the model of this layout (as you mentioned.) I find this advertisement to be graphically pleasing as well. I am just a little concerned about the visual on the bottom of the advertisement that seems to look like lines (but maybe it's because I do not have access to the original design.) I feel that the layout creates a sense of calmness and tranquility with its' enticing visuals and use of symmetry and white space in its' design, which I am sure was probably its' overall goal. I also really enjoyed seeing the comparison between your before and after assignment. I really like your new design and how it focuses upon how the eye travels across the page. It looks very well done and pleasing to the eye. In addition, the toy ads that you have created are very visually pleasing as well. It looks like you have followed many of the rules for "good design." (Personally, I like your first advertisement better because of your use of color in the background that ties together the theme and imagery of this project.)
    Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Hawaii is beautiful any time of year, so if you are thinking of going there for your honeymoon, I highly recommend it, especially Maui.

    I agree that the magazine page follows the “Works-Every-Time Layout” and it seems that it does work every time! (Golombisky &Hagen 2010) The main image pulled me right in and the small amount of text shows it is a quick read. The vertical lines do appear unnecessary and possibly distracting, though it is harder to tell from the smaller image. The color use is very appealing and it is a twist on the very beach-y turquoise and coral. One thing that caught my attention immediately was the space in the middle. It seems too big of a space and thus I think the designer committed the sin of trapping negative space. It still makes me want to go to Hawaii though!

    The after product for the School Supply Drive looks great. The layout is very clean and organized. The basic layout works well here. I also like your toy ads. The yellow background really makes the first one stand out. In the loosened alignment I like how you put borders around the images and avoided the “naked photos”. Both the bold colors and borders were items mentioned this week and I think you incorporated both well into your designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Katie - I enjoyed reading your post; especially the reference to the Hawaii ad being the "works every time" design. I don't know that I would have picked that out without you mentioning it. I agree that the ad does indeed reflect the "best practices" of layout and design. Additionally, it is interesting that neither of the pictures chosen have the focal point centered in the frame of the picture. (This is something that I am focusing on for my personal development because I tend to like things centered and streamlined.) The silhouette of the couple is off to the right and the palm tree comes from the right side of the page and stretches across the top; both very visually appealing. The silhouette of the couple is very intriguing. It gives the viewer the idea of romance, like you noted, while also keeping the focus on the location. One could easily pictures themselves in the silhouette. (I also noticed that the water flows toward the right of the page; not the left. So, the "flow" moves in the positive direction.)

    I was very impressed with the rework of your honor society flier. Nice job! The variety of pictures in your "after" was visually appealing. I like that they weren't all the same size and shape. I could have done that for my fliers, too. It would have been more visually stimulating. Thanks for the idea.

    I have a hard time with the last part of the blog post, as well. I think that was the purpose; to make us stretch outside of our comfort zone. Rest assured you did a great job!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katie,

    I echo the sentiments of your colleagues above. They each did a nice job of articulating the point I myself would have made in regards to the exercises you completed for this week's Mini Art School blog.

    In greater detail:

    1. Congrats (again) on your upcoming wedding -- I realize your fellow classmates said it but I wanted to say it again. Also, I like that you selected an ad from a magazine that has meaning to you personally -- you are literally the intended audience for this ad in particular, so it'a always great to read from the perspective of the targeted market what they felt was done well (or not) with regard to the design layout/overall appeal.

    2. The flier you revised from the one your co-worker created is spot-on. It is significantly improved from the original (shhh, your co-worker didn't hear me say that ;)

    3. I appreciate your candor about the difficulty of the last assignment. It's always good to know what exercises students struggle with. You did a nice job developing each -- it was quite the flashback to read the word "POG" in the upper left-hand corner! Power Rangers and Beenie Babies were definitely well selected illustrations for the overall concept -- something that's particularly important in advertising, and, judging from the PowerPoints developed by multiple middle school students over the years, something that needs to be "taught" more explicitly!

    Nicely done!
    Prof H

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HOPE YOU GUYS ACTUALLY PING YOUR LINKS OTHERWISE YOUR SCRAPEBOX IS USELESS PSD to HTML

    ReplyDelete